Ladies and Gentlemen it is time to face facts. Certain cities, like New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and other bastions of liberalism may be lost to the illegal immigrant crowd. It is unlikely in the near term that federal courts will act with the required rapidity to allow ICE to effectively deport criminals. We should simply wish them ill, stop sending them federal money of any kind, and tell them no when they beg for help. Actions have consequences. Let’s let their politicians explain to their voters why there are no jobs and people are being gunned down by MS-13.
But it doesn’t have to happen in the rest of the country!
If your state legislature is not thinking like the Texas state legislature, which recently criminalized sanctuary city policies, then its time for it to start. We need as quickly as possible for every state where there is a veto-proof Republican majority in the legislative branch to impose the same kind of penalties and restrictions on elected officers and cities as are currently in the Texas law. They can simply change a few words in the Texas law. They don’t even have to be creative!
There are good reasons to do this. A person who is here illegally has already broken the law. When one commits a felony, they are subject to deportation. Avoiding deportation or returning after deportation (as many of these clowns have) is a felony.
Federal law 18 U.S. Code § 4 is called misprision of felony. Misprison is a criminal act that is based upon the failure to report a crime. The statute says:
Whoever, having knowledge of the actual commission of a felony cognizable by a court of the United States, conceals and does not as soon as possible make known the same to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.
Now, reading this, it’s clear this has four elements to it. The wrongdoer has to (1) know about a felony; (2) that felony has to be cognizable by a court in the US, (3) they have to conceal the criminal activity; (4) They have to fail to report as soon as possible the criminal activity.
Now, 18 U.S. Code § 1073 makes flight to avoid prosecution (which is what would happen to a deported felon on recapture) a federal felony. It is also a statute which authorizes federal law enforcement to cross state lines looking for bad guys.
Now, let’s think about a criminal illegal alien, that ICE wants to deport, and that ICE places a federal detainer on. The official in charge, whether that’s the sheriff or the police chief, now knows that a federal law has been broken, and that they have a duty to turn the criminal illegal alien over to the federal government, otherwise the felon will flee. If they conceal the criminal illegal alien’s exit from jail on bond or otherwise from federal authorities, that assists the illegal alien in fleeing from ICE, and based on the detainer establishing knowledge, that subjects them to federal prosecution for misprision of felony.
So, in each of these states where the bleeding hearts set up these unlawful sanctuaries, they are actively committing a federal crime. A state has the right, on that basis, to deny them state office, and to create criminal penalties for not cooperating with federal authorities. It will be challenged in the courts, but the courts in most of these states are filled with judges who are tired of seeing the revolving door at the jailhouse.
How do we start this movement? There is an easy way to speed up the process of having our states stop this madness in the larger cities.
- Write to your state legislator and state senator and demand that they immediately sponsor the same legislation that Texas just passed;
- Write to the governor and ask the governor to sign this legislation;
- Write a letter to the editor asking others to do the same thing.
- Go visit your legislator and senator and tell them that they either get on board with this law, or you’re never backing them for office again. We have a right to expect our laws will be enforced.
- Call your representative’s office every day and demand to know if they have sponsored such a bill. If they have not, demand to know why.
- If you have a liberal bleeding heart legislator, record the telephone conversation if legal in your state (See information here). Post it to Facebook, Twitter, and every other social media outlet if it shows her to be more concerned with people who cannot lawfully vote than with people who do vote.
- Embarrass, cajole, vex, harass, intimidate, annoy and badger your elected representative until he hears your name in his nightmares. The First Amendment gives you the right to petition the government for redress of grievances. Nothing requires you to do so quietly or meekly.
- Attend every publicized meeting with your senator or legislator and demand to know in this forum if they have sponsored such legislation and if they are going to. Ask them, if they say no, why they want to protect people who can’t vote for them instead of people who have voted for them. Get other people thinking.
- Gather names, get signatures, organize. Flood these meetings with your folks and be a little bit rowdy. Make your points. Chant “No Sanctuary for Criminals” and “They Don’t Vote, We Do!”
- Get interviewed on television and make these same points. Don’t yell and scream, just ask people “why would a politician favor someone who can’t vote for them because (a) they’re a felon and (b) they’re illegally here, over people who did vote for them.
- It costs very little to set up either an LLC or a D/B/A with your Secretary of State or Corporation Commission. Set up a “polling company” and get your charter issued. Once issued, conduct “polls” of people who share your views. Nothing requires you to conduct them honestly; no other polling company does. They simply repeat what they want the public to believe. Steal a page from their playbook! Get some letterhead printed and print news releases on this fancy stationery and send them to the media with a press release:
- “Acme Polling has today released poll numbers suggesting that State Legislator Pollyanna Bleedingheart has dropped dramatically in the polls. Her support now sits at 35%”
- Each week drop a few points off and resubmit it to the news media. The media are lazy and often will simply run with your story; they won’t try to figure out if you’re a legitimate polling operation.
- If you create a big enough media fecal storm your legislator will fly the white flag and come around to your way of thinking because otherwise she’ll lose support of her donors.
Is all of this slightly less than honorable? Sure it is. But since when was survival about honor? We are either a country with independent states that can take action to stop sanctuary cities, or we’re a nation of victims. I prefer never to be a victim again!